Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Project Topic Questions

My topic is based on the huge socioeconomic gap in South Africa, and the crime rates that follow the gap. I chose this topic because my trip to South Africa was really eye opening, and was the first time I ever really experienced the socioeconomic gap and blatant racism. I will be working alone. I will be focusing on what is the social construct of race and why does it happen? How is the social construct of race different in America vs South Africa? What incentives cause people to commit theft? How does the symbolic interactionist approach to sociology explain the gap, and how does that then lead to the conflict and functionalist approach? How does the social construct of race create socioeconomic gaps, and why is nothing done about it?

Obviously I still have more questions to ask, but so far this is what I have had on my mind and started doing research on. I definitely want to focus on race and the socioeconomic gap in South Africa, but my questions and primary focus and completely change as I continue doing research.

1 comment:

  1. I think these are interesting questions. To look at the social construction of race in South Africa, make sure to look at historical constructions during the time of colonialism and how this permeated society into Apartheid. Think about how this contributed to discrimination in society.

    ReplyDelete