Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Blog Post 1

The beginning of this project was inspired by my trip to South Africa, and the contrasting levels of poverty that I saw between neighborhoods. Growing up in Chicago, I see differences in socioeconomic status all the time while traveling between neighborhoods. But nothing I've seen in
chicago compared to what i was witnessing in South Africa. Multi-million dollar homes with huge electric fences around them were blocks away from neighborhoods that lived in metal shacks with no plumbing or electricity. The fact that such wealthy people could live right next to people suffering from poverty and not even blink an eye was really was struck me and made me more interested in the problem. Upon research, I wasn't surprised to learn that most of the higher income individuals were white and a majority of the people living in poverty were colored. This is what inspired me to learn more about the issue of race and how it plays into economic status and life in society.

No comments:

Post a Comment