Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Blog Post 2

The next step of my project was to learn more about race and how different societies treat the issue of race. I began learning about this idea of race being socially constructed a little earlier then when we started talking about it in class. I am a middle class white girl and I recognize that I am very privileged, and I've never really thought about race that far. It really struck me as interesting that nobody is really born into a race, you're born with physical features that resemble your background, and then you are socialized into behaving a certain way. There is no biological feature that deems how you behave or what your personality is, and race is simply a hierarchal manner that allows certain groups to take control of others. This also correlated with what we were learning in class, because as we were learning about agents of socialization I was researching how we learn about race. Different agents of socialization act to influence children about race, and the way media portrays the issue of race affects how children view and act. When every Asian on TV is portrayed as being a genius and every black person is less educated, children believe that they will fill those roles. This once again goes back to the idea that we are not born with these personality traits, our society has established that certain characteristics are associated with each race and we grow up to believe that they are true.

No comments:

Post a Comment